Thursday, July 5, 2007

God and Country?

I have read Bill's post and have started several times to respond but wasn't sure I had the necessary focus to answer the all-important question: What am I specifically praying for? Up until this day we have agreed with the focus spelled out in the qualifications for membership listed to the right of this column. When I review those 5 requirements, one sticks out as being very much unlike the others, almost out of place.

Requirement #3 states "Will you pray that you may not be ashamed of Christ?"

While each of the others relates to praying for revival and a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit, this one speaks to the importance of lifting up Jesus Christ as the focal point of all we say and do. On July 1 I attended an event entitled "Celebrate America: God and Country". About 20,000 people attended this event that was billed as a celebration of America's Christian heritage. This event was organized by Thomas Road Baptist Church and is an annual event that draws people from throughout the area. After an afternoon of playing a mix of Christian and secular country music (yuck!), the choir sang some patriotic hymns and the message began. The first five speakers were all state or federal politicians that spent the better part of an hour talking about how they and their political colleagues were standing up for Christian values in Richmond, or Washington and how they had done this, that, or the other thing to strengthen families, fight homosexuality, etc., etc. It actually turned into a mutual admiration society where each speaker extolled the greatness of the others on the platform. The final speaker was a pastor who talked or America's great Christian heritage and how incredibly God has blessed this country. The session closed with a curious selection...a famous gospel singer did his rendition of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA." (a catchy but very unpatriotic song)

So what does this have to do with our journey? I awoke several nights ago out of a deep sleep with a strange phrase on my lips that I don't recall reading or hearing anytime in the recent days: "Christ must be preeminent." As soon as I spoke these words (I don't know if I spoke them audibly or internally) I felt an incredibly comforting wave of energy or power sweep through my body. I have felt this same sensation several times in the past and always in conjunction with a spiritual breakthrough or answer to a spiritual question. I went back to sleep after a short time of prayer and have repeatedly thought about that phrase in the days since. I went to my dictionary and looked up "preeminent" and found that it means: eminent above or before others; superior; surpassing. "Eminent" means: lofty, high, or prominent.

I have been so very focused on my need of more of the Holy Spirit, and yet I must admit I am very weak when it comes to my boldness to proclaim Christ. Could it be that as we intentionally focus on requirement #3 above, and begin to lift up the name of Jesus Christ with boldness, that it is then that the Holy Spirit's power will flow unhindered through us?

Is this what Paul is referring to in 1 Cor. 2:2-4 "For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power."

I too am hungry for more of God...but not the god that was lifted up at "Celebrate America." I am not hungry for my own creation of god, but I am hungry for a relationship with the one and only God of Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Paul, etc. Without a right relationship to Jesus Christ, there is no way for me to approach this "Consuming Fire." God's chosen people, who had just seen multiple miracles that proved God's love for them cried out in terror when they glimpsed his fierce presence on Mt. Sinai. Why did God seek to instill this fear in His people? Exodus 20:20 "And Moses said to the people, "Do not fear: for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin." A proper understanding of God's holiness will radically change our behavior.

Brothers, do we truly know and fear God? God warned that if any but Moses approached, they would instantly die, simply because the had glimpsed His presence. When I read Exodus 19 I understand why Christ must be preeminent. Without Christ I am in the same position as the Israelites and the glimpse of God that I hunger for would mean only one thing...instant death! The holiness of God is strange and defies simple classification. What would you do if God told to to take one of your boys and sacrifice him on an altar? If I received that revelation I would quickly dismiss it because my god is loving, kind, compassionate, and therefore, this must be a message from Satan. And yet, Abraham KNEW the true God in such a real and intimate way that despite his own love for his son, he knew that this was God speaking and he obeyed. Why does God tell the Israelites conquering the Promised Land to kill women, children, and even the animals and yet as the book of Jonah closes, God reveals his love and concern for not only the wicked people of Ninevah, but even concern for their animals. This God defies our human logic and cannot be neatly contained.

I fear that over the years I have carefully created my own god that neatly fits into my box and who lives only to shower me with blessings and rescue me in times of trouble. This does not appear to be the God of the Bible. I am praying first and foremost that I might in some way understand the true God and have the boldness to lift up His Son in every area of my life. Christ must be preeminent!

In Micah, God's prophet foretells the coming destruction of Israel and later Judah. Destruction would be delivered by a godless horde of Assyrians who would arrive on the scene 10-20 years after Micah gave his prophecy. Micah tells parents to shave their heads and mourn for what will befall their children who are destined for captivity. Sadly, despite the heartfelt prayers poured out to God, Micah says it is too late...God will not only ignore their prayers, but he will even hide His face from them because of their evil deeds. 3:4 What was the foundational evil that Israel had committed in Micah's time. It can be summed up in one word: MATERIALISM. Read this incredible small book and see if you agree that everything described by Micah applies to North American society today.

My prayer for all of us is that we would know the one true God and that we would be empowered by His Holy Spirit by making Christ preeminent in every area of our lives.

110 days until we meet in Canton. Stay strong!

Your brother in the battle, Steve

No comments: